Sunday, May 30, 2010

I could very well be filming national geographic right now

Culture shock times a million today. We were driven downtown to see it and all the markets today. Crazy. Sooo many people, so many sweet clothes, but I still don't feel close to comfortable trying to buy anything yet. The food is good if I stick to what I know. We had salad and beer for an appetizer for lunch which I thought was interesting. Then we had some kind of pork, which I did not eat, and then everything else though I ate and it was awesome. Fried plantains, fried chunks of potato that were so creamy inside, fresh mango, rice and again, the salad and beer. Everything tastes so fresh. They drink coffee and tea out of bowls here which threw me off this morning.

Even after driving all over downtown, a walk on the beach, and mass, we are still the only white people, or "yovos", in this area. We get stared at a lot and this little 1 year old at church even ran away from his mom and planted right next to me so he could stare at me. haha but he was so stinkin cute he's probably just never seen a white person before.

We chatted with one of the brothers for awhile at breakfast today. All the brothers here are very young, under 30. He was telling us all about the problems and how much political corruption there is and how they can't be saved until the government is fixed which there's no way it can be due to how it's currently operating. It was really sad to see the defeat in his face talking about his own country. It really got to me. Cause here we are, 3 yovos thinkin we can do something, which I mean I'm hoping we can, but there's just so much no one even has the capability to do due to the government. It's depressing really. I'm going to have a hard time not letting these things get to me too often.

sorry no pics yet.

Well off to socialize with the brothers. I miss 'merica.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Amy,

    We Love you. Be strong and just know you are making a difference.

    Aunt Ruth Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    Remember that our Lord birthed the Church in a similar governmental situation. It's always this way. The kingdoms of this world will become the kingdom of our Lord (Rev. 11:15). But right now it does not seem so. Remind yourself and all your workers there that our Lord truly is in control. And He will see you through to the things He has brought you there to accomplish!

    Blessings,
    Keith Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I hear you about the gov't, we face a similar situation with the gov't in Iraq, but you'll get to know some of the locals and you'll realize your efforts are going to help them directly, and they'll appreciate it. Keep on keepin' on, we're all proud of you.


    -Uncle Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are keeping you and the team in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing great. Just keep on trying hard and keep your heart open and I know you'll make a difference. Funny thing, I just left you a voicemail on your phone. Found a whole cache of our old notes/pictures. I wish I could send it to you. I'll deliver it when you get home.

    All the best,
    Danny

    ReplyDelete